Ok, in my experience, the Summer months are the ultimate motivator. But what about the rest of the year? How does one stay motivated when its cold and dark outside and you’d rather be on your couch watching Netflix? Here are my top tips to stay motivated all year around:
1) Train for something specific. Whether it’s an obstacle race, a half marathon, a triathlon or an ocean swim. Having something to work towards can be an excellent tool in keeping focused and accountable for your training.
- Beach bash Obstacle Course
- Blackmores running festival
- BRW supersrint triathlon
2) See if you can rope a friend/s in to be your training partner for a set period (6 weeks, 8 weeks etc). Not only is this a great way to stay motivated but it also keeps you accountable. No one wants to be the one letting the team down by not showing up!
Many of the events on the yearly calendar are team based which means you can tie this point in nicely with the previous!
3) Think of the colder months as your preparation time for the warmer months! That way, instead of being down and out during winter (lets face it sometimes just leaving the house can seem like a chore), you can use it as a chance to focus on being bikini/boardie ready by the time spring/summer rolls around.
4) And arguably the most important of all… Remember that fitness is a lifestyle choice and not a 6 week or 12 week program. What I mean is, the idea behind being strong/fit/healthy is to be able to maintain it for the rest of your life! This is why time and time again I tell my clients that being consistent is key to everything we do, so when you’re feeling down or you ‘cant be bothered’, just remember that you’re in this for the long haul.